Learn more about Herbs in this Free Course!
This is my personal go to for keeping the immune system functioning at an optimum level. I've tried other people's recipes and I think they taste like runny mud. This is by far the best tasting elderberry syrup recipe there is out there.
1/2 cup of dried elderberries
1/2 cup of sweetener of choice (raw honey, maple syrup, agave, manuka honey)
1 inch of minced ginger or 1 Tablespoon of dried ginger
1/2 lemon squeezed
1 1/2 cups of filtered water or organic unfiltered apple juice
Note: I really prefer the taste when I use apple juice and sometimes I'll add a bit of cinnamon, too. But when in a pinch, filtered water will work just fine.
Also--- you see the wood spoon across the glass pot? That is to keep it from boiling over. Wooden spoons are magic like that.
1. Mince ginger and add to a pot.
2. Add elderberries to pot.
3. Add 1 1/2 cups of water or organic apple juice
4.Bring to a boil over medium high heat and let simmer on medium for 20-30 minutes to reduce liquid by half.
5. Let elderberry mixture cool to room temperature.
6. Strain elderberry mixture through a fine mesh strainer or cheesecloth, squeezing all the liquid from the saturated berries.
7. Add your sweetener of choice, adding little by little, tasting until you get the sweetness you desire.
8. Add lemon and whisk.
9. Pour into jars and seal tightly, keeping in refrigerator.
The whole process will take about an hour, including letting the mixture cool.
How much should be taken and at what frequency? How long with the mixture last in the fridge?ReplyDelete
We take a tablespoon 3 times a day with a virus. Or just once a day for preventative measures.ReplyDelete